Listeners know him as “DJ Apple”; his real name is Dan Morookian. Dan’s last radio show on KZSC was November 21st. Here’s Dan’s story: “As a University of California, Riverside student, I hosted a late night Grateful Dead/Phish radio show on the campus station KUCR called Radio Daze. I had a chance to visit both KALX (UC Berkeley) and KZSC as a student during annual UC Radio Network conferences. It made me appreciate more than ever the positive effect a college radio station can have on its community. I moved to Santa Cruz County after graduation January 3rd, 1999 and got a neat job at the Cowell/Stevenson colleges (on the UCSC campus). Someone I worked with suggested that I take KZSC’s radio broadcast course…I had thought that my radio days would only be as a student! I was one of 25 in the class and the only non-student. Not long after that, the KZSC Beatles show at the time called I’m only Sleeping ended, and I started hosting a new one called Here, There & Everywhere which remains on the schedule today. I have always loved radio and KZSC was on all the time in my many homes in Santa Cruz. And as a former KZSC DJ, it’s good to know that I have been part of adding to the Santa Cruz positive vibration. Coincidentally, I plan to spend my very last day in Santa Cruz 15 years to the day on January 3, 2014.” On behalf of KZSC, Beatle fans and all the listeners you have brought hours of joy to over the years, we salute you DJ Apple! You are missed already.
- Anderson .Paak – YES LORDFebruary 10, 2016 - 4:27 pm
- Ticket Giveaway of the Week: Wobbleland 2016 Music Festival!February 9, 2016 - 1:48 am
- KZSC’s Closet Free Radio Wins Lifetime Achievement Award!February 8, 2016 - 11:26 am
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Fox Theater: KZSC Show ReviewsFebruary 8, 2016 - 10:00 am
- Quasimoto (Ka•wah•zee•moh•toe)February 5, 2016 - 4:17 pm