To further put off studying for finals last friday, I attended one of Bay Area rapper Lil B ‘The BasedGod’’s #veryrare concerts at The Catalyst. Well known in the Bay for his work in rap group The Pack (who opened for him), Lil B has reached a distinguished status in the rap game through his extensive online social media presence as well as his prolific free mixtape collection available on the web. Best known for his self invented musical subgenre ‘based’ music, Lil B continues to expand and innovate within the hiphop genre with his stream of consciousness lyrics and eccentric selection of beats.
Happy Hanukkah from DJ Oy-Dog and Muzikal Jewz.
This record is a classic from the early 80s by Gefilte Joe and the Fish, who were fronted by Rhino Records’ real-life co-founder Richard Foos (he also co-founded Shout! Factory). The group recorded as the Yiddish People during the disco craze, when they bastardized the Village People’s “Macho Man” with their novelty hit “Matzo Man.” That song is a staple on Muzikal Jewz. While “Hanukah Rocks” on this album isn’t their finest, it is so much fun to watch it spin round and round in all of its blue vinyl glory during the Festival of Lights!
Also, check out this amazing story from the Gefilte Joe and the Fish record release party – Andy Kaufman steals the show! (via Cigar Reviews by The Katman)
Host of the Golden Road, Art O’Sullivan recounts his story of being the DJ on the air during the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989.
November 11th marked the sixth studio LP release of The Birthday Massacre’s “Superstition” through Metropolis Records. The Canadian synthrock band did not fail to impress with what they claim to be their best album yet. Superstition is ten track of beautifully executed vocals accompanied with upbeat yet dark instrumentals. Listening to the album in its entirety gives a feel of taking a journey through a haunting storybook tale. The euphoric yet melancholy back beats in sync with the sometimes sweet, sometimes dark vocals bring a natural progression throughout Superstition. It should also be noted that the stunning album art falls in line with The Birthday Massacre’s previous album’s artwork almost creating a cohesive timeline of their talent. The Birthday Massacre continue to evolve their sound while maintaining the qualities most unique to them, which can distinctly be heard in Superstition.
Here is the official music video for “Beyond” from Superstition:
The KZSC world department has got some great new Latin music! Plenty of cumbia with new music by Los Aguas Aguas at number one; as well as new electronic in both Latin and world jazz! Here’s the top 10 new tunes to listen for in world:
- LOS AGUAS AGUAS -Two, Three Karate Moves
- TOUMANI DIABATE AND SIDIKI DIABATE -Toumani And Sidiki
- TINARIWEN -Emmaar
- ANA TIJOUX -Vengo
- IREESH LAL -Ethnotronica
- SILVA -Ocean View
- SAMMY FIGUEROA AND GLAUCIA NASSER -Talisman
- MARIACHI EL BRONX -Mariachi El Bronx (III)
- CECILIA NOEL -Havana Rocks
- BARBRA STREISAND -Partners
1. LES SINS – Michael / Company
2. ARCA – Xen / Mute
3. BAAUER – Beta / LuckyMe
4. DORIAN CONCEPT – Joined Ends / Ninja Tune
5. MACHINEDRUM – Vapor City Archives / Ninja Tune
6. HUDSON MOHAWKE – Chimes [EP] / Warp
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS – 5oFoF: Five Years Of Friends Of Friends / Friends Of Friends
8. ODESZA – Say My Name Remixes / Self-Released
9. TEKLIFE – Next Life / Hyperdub
10. LEE BANNON – Main/Flex [EP] / Babygrande
Top 5 Adds:
1. BONOBO – Flashlight [EP] / Ninja Tune
2. PONY BWOY – Nar-ke / Self-Released
3. THE KNIFE – Shaken Up Versions / Mute
4. KID MOXIE – 1888 / Undo
5. ALISON WONDERLAND – Calm Down [EP] / Astralwerks
Hear a cut from Bonobo’s brand new EP, Flashlight, below:
Though it didn’t make our top 5 adds this week, LA producer AWE just released an excellent new single entitled “Griffin”; hear it below!
- Concert review: Lil B at the Catalyst AtriumDecember 18, 2014 - 12:19 pm
- KZSC’s Muzikal Jewz presents… Hanukah Rocks!December 16, 2014 - 10:13 am
- Five O’clock Rock: by Art O’SullivanDecember 11, 2014 - 3:48 pm
- Review of The Birthday Massacre’s “Superstition”December 7, 2014 - 5:40 pm
- New world charts-Beginning of DecemberDecember 3, 2014 - 12:32 pm