Arantxa Figueroa, better known to listeners as DJ Harvey, began at KZSC last spring as a guest on our sports show “Slug Talk”. After talking soccer over the airwaves and sitting in on friends’ music shows, she got swallowed whole by The Great 88. She took our radio class and began hosting a Britpop show titled “London’s Calling”. DJ Harvey explains, “A close friend was introducing me to new bands and next thing I knew I was stuck on the accent-crazed “BritPop” generation. I fell in love with bands like Pulp, Blur, Suede and Elastica. I knew I wanted to put BritPop in the spotlight, with mellow music and high energy.” In addition to “London’s Calling”, DJ Harvey also subs for others and now serves as KZSC’s PSA Director. Why would a Slug want to volunteer like this? “What attracted me to KZSC ” says Harv (as we are known to call her), “was definitely the wide range of shows. I knew I wanted to have a music program where people could listen to me around the world. I also wanted a ‘voice’ to represent my university, and I found our campus radio station to be the best place for that.” You can listen to DJ Harvey and “London’s Calling” Tuesdays from 4-6 pm on KZSC. And if you send us a misspelled Public Service Announcement, you can thank her for fixing on your behalf.
- Programmer of the Month: Dylan MusicNovember 25, 2014 - 10:13 am
- Bluegrass Awards Show on Backroads, Sun Nov 23rdNovember 23, 2014 - 2:08 am
- Planet Cruz: Local Comedy at the Rio TheatreNovember 20, 2014 - 4:39 pm
- Fonzie Interviews The GrouchNovember 20, 2014 - 1:47 pm
- World Charts in Mid NovemberNovember 18, 2014 - 4:35 pm