November 11th marked the sixth studio LP release of The Birthday Massacre’s “Superstition” through Metropolis Records. The Canadian synthrock band did not fail to impress with what they claim to be their best album yet. Superstition is ten track of beautifully executed vocals accompanied with upbeat yet dark instrumentals. Listening to the album in its entirety gives a feel of taking a journey through a haunting storybook tale. The euphoric yet melancholy back beats in sync with the sometimes sweet, sometimes dark vocals bring a natural progression throughout Superstition. It should also be noted that the stunning album art falls in line with The Birthday Massacre’s previous album’s artwork almost creating a cohesive timeline of their talent. The Birthday Massacre continue to evolve their sound while maintaining the qualities most unique to them, which can distinctly be heard in Superstition.
Here is the official music video for “Beyond” from Superstition:
The KZSC world department has got some great new Latin music! Plenty of cumbia with new music by Los Aguas Aguas at number one; as well as new electronic in both Latin and world jazz! Here’s the top 10 new tunes to listen for in world:
- LOS AGUAS AGUAS -Two, Three Karate Moves
- TOUMANI DIABATE AND SIDIKI DIABATE -Toumani And Sidiki
- TINARIWEN -Emmaar
- ANA TIJOUX -Vengo
- IREESH LAL -Ethnotronica
- SILVA -Ocean View
- SAMMY FIGUEROA AND GLAUCIA NASSER -Talisman
- MARIACHI EL BRONX -Mariachi El Bronx (III)
- CECILIA NOEL -Havana Rocks
- BARBRA STREISAND -Partners
1. LES SINS – Michael / Company
2. ARCA – Xen / Mute
3. BAAUER – Beta / LuckyMe
4. DORIAN CONCEPT – Joined Ends / Ninja Tune
5. MACHINEDRUM – Vapor City Archives / Ninja Tune
6. HUDSON MOHAWKE – Chimes [EP] / Warp
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS – 5oFoF: Five Years Of Friends Of Friends / Friends Of Friends
8. ODESZA – Say My Name Remixes / Self-Released
9. TEKLIFE – Next Life / Hyperdub
10. LEE BANNON – Main/Flex [EP] / Babygrande
Top 5 Adds:
1. BONOBO – Flashlight [EP] / Ninja Tune
2. PONY BWOY – Nar-ke / Self-Released
3. THE KNIFE – Shaken Up Versions / Mute
4. KID MOXIE – 1888 / Undo
5. ALISON WONDERLAND – Calm Down [EP] / Astralwerks
Hear a cut from Bonobo’s brand new EP, Flashlight, below:
Though it didn’t make our top 5 adds this week, LA producer AWE just released an excellent new single entitled “Griffin”; hear it below!
This month’s Programmer of the Month is DJ Oy-Dog, AKA Dylan Music from the long-running program “Muzikal Jewz.”
Dylan started volunteering at KZSC when he was a senior at UCSC. Then in March of 2008, after completing the broadcasting class, Dylan was inspired to start the show “Muzikal Jewz,” in order to “make people laugh, dance, cry, and experience Jewish music and culture in all of its forms.”
“It took about 4 hours of prep time per week at first. I started with three Jewish music CDs (Socalled’s “Ghettoblaster,” “Connie Francis Sing Jewish Favorites,” and Black Ox Orkestar’s “Ver Tanz”) and it exploded from there,” said Dylan (aka DJ Oy-Dog). The show has been a staff and audience favorite ever since.
After finishing his Master’s thesis “Beat me Rabbi Eight to the Bar” (about Yiddish swing Jazz life in the U.S. in the early 20th century) and graduating from the Literature Department in 2011, Dylan is now a community member at KZSC and still hosts “Muzikal Jewz” every Sunday from 4PM to 6PM.
A little-known trivia fact: In the summer of 2011, Dylan also created and hosted a show at KZSC called “Christopher Tracy’s Parade,” which featured music by the purple paisley love god Prince, and his disciples.
Over the years Dylan has also been an 8-time student mentor and twice served in the KZSC program review committee. For his dedication and creativity KZSC declares Dylan Music “programmer of the month,” an honor only bestowed upon the most awesome of staff members!
Coming to the Rio Theatre this Saturday is Planet Cruz, a comedy/variety show dedicated to ‘keeping it weird’, will feature the music of “the Goddess of Soul” Tammi Brown and Peter Cor and the Planetoid Band; Rhan Wilson, Matt Bohn, and Kevin Di Noto.
The Comedians include:
Teresa Tudury , Don Reed as seen on HBO, Showtime, and The Tonight Show, Kellen Erskine, Dan St. Paul with “What’s Funny After 50?”, Sven Davis, Alan Heit , Ryan Coonerty , and Zach Friend .
The event will be hosted by Richard Stockton and there will be plenty of comedy sketches about the state of Santa Cruz for all the locals and neo-locals out there! Where else could a professional comedian space-cowboy come from? Only Santa Cruz!
For more information, Check out their promo video and http://planetcruzcomedy.com/ for all that Planet Cruz has to offer you!
- Archive available for Angela Davis broadcastJanuary 29, 2015 - 11:02 am
- Chuck Brodsky Live on “Backroads” Sun, Feb 1stJanuary 29, 2015 - 7:46 am
- Jan 28 Special: Prof. Angela DavisJanuary 26, 2015 - 1:05 pm
- Beautiful track from Kauflin’s latest albumJanuary 23, 2015 - 5:34 pm
- Charts & Adds 3rd week of JanuaryJanuary 23, 2015 - 5:20 pm