If there’s a more well-known instrumental from the 1960s than “Green Onions” we haven’t heard it. Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Booker T. Jones and his band, Booker T. & The M.G.s were a staple of radio with hit instrumentals. They also helped define the Stax record label sound by serving as a backup band for many important soul singers including Otis Redding. When the M.G.s went their separate ways, Jones went on to producing, composing, and collaborating with new groups. Don’t expect only the oldies at this show; his latest album Sound The Alarm (with Gary Clark Jr) features Jones at his most soulful in years. It’s a Hammond B-3 sound fest as the Kuumbwa Jazz Center proudly presents Booker T. for two shows, 7 and 9 pm, Monday, January 20th. Don’t miss an opportunity to see a musical legend in such an intimate venue.
Bruce has Jane Dawson on the show about “Holiday Challenges.” Click the PLAY button to listen!
Nina Storey is as powerful as she is provocative, delivering honest and hypnotic songs steeped in classic soul pop. Her Santa Cruz fans will be among the first to hear songs from her new album Think Twice, which will have its Northern California release at Moe’s Alley Saturday, January 12th. Doors open at 7:30 pm.
- SOB X RBE Concert Review + Xslapz Interview by riz aka djrsd & TikaApril 26, 2017 - 12:26 pm
- In Praise of Errors: A Case for RadioApril 24, 2017 - 4:24 pm
- RPM April Music ChartsApril 19, 2017 - 12:05 pm
- #MoreArtMusic hosted by Jamez in Vallejo, CA – Review by riz aka djrsdApril 13, 2017 - 12:44 am
- Sammy J, Jordan T, Analea Concert Review + Jordan T x Analea Interview by riz aka djrsd & DJ MuApril 6, 2017 - 6:47 pm