If you haven’t seen The White Album Ensemble, you should. They reproduce music that The Beatles recorded but did not perform (“Rubber Soul” through “Abbey Road” albums). The Kuumbwa Jazz Center, with its great acoustics and grand piano, provide a perfect setting for an intimate concert of Beatles songs “unplugged” – acoustic instruments with an accent on vocals and harmonies. Special guests include vocalists Tammi Brown and Alysha Antonino along with percussionist Steve Robertson. The White Album Ensemble’s “Beatles Unplugged” show comes to the Kuumbwa in downtown Santa Cruz Friday, March 14th at 8 pm.
Celebrated more than New Years Eve, Christmas and your birthday combined, Halloween is special in Santa Cruz. Here are some of your options:
- PAUL OAKENFOLD at The Catalyst. Considered by Rolling Stone magazine, CNN and other media sources as “One of the world’s leading DJs”, the Catalyst always is one of the top places to be for this holiday. Bonus: it’s downtown, where most of the weirdness happens and there’s a free Halloween party with Eliquate in the Atrium @ 7 pm.
- MONSTER BASH MASQUERADE : Another option if you’re interested in electronic music/DJs. This costume bash features OPIUO from Australia, LIBERATION MOVEMENT and tons of other DJs.
- DOWNTOWN SANTA CRUZ. Let’s face it…just being downtown at various locations is a trip. Costumes, music and crazies gather along Pacific Avenue.
No matter what your choice is for Halloween, be safe and keep your radio locked on The Great 88 for a spooky soundtrack to your night of fun.
Flamenco is Spanish folk music and dance from the region of Andalusia in southern Spain. With its colorful costumes, high energy and rhythmic combination of singing, playing, dancing and hand clapping, it’s an amazing experience to witness in person. The 8th annual Bay Area Flamenco Festival comes to Santa Cruz for three weekends of exciting shows featuring world-class performers including icon of Gypsy flamenco dance (and student of the legendary Pepe Rios) Concha Vargas September 22nd and the internationally renowned guitarist known as “The Godfather of Bay Area Flamenco Guitar” David Serva September 27th. All performances will take place at The Kuumbwa Jazz Center at 8 pm.
The Breeders played their first show together during the summer of 1992 in a snooker hall behind Warrington Rugby Club in the north of England. Two days later, they supported Nirvana in Dublin and Belfast and played at the gigantic Glastonbury Festival. After playing sold-out shows that fall, they made their way to San Francisco to record “Last Splash”. The album was a huge success, propelled in part by a music video directed by Spike Jonze. They played their last show in September of 1994…until now. To commemorate the release of a deluxe anniversary edition of “Last Splash” The Breeders are touring together again, performing the album live. Catch The Breeders Monday, August 26th at The Rio in Santa Cruz. Showtime will be 8 pm.
The Original Wailers recently released a five song album named Miracle that, “recreates the true sound of Bob Marley and The Wailers.” The “Original” name is somewhat misleading since guitarist Al Anderson remains the only performer from the mid-1970’s Wailers, a band several line-ups removed from the Marley/Bunny Wailer/Peter Tosh “Wailing Wailers”. Performances by groups like these carry the power of nostalgia with them; aged adults love to revisit “their glory days” via music idols (now aged themselves) from their youth. And it more often than not works because music is timeless-it flows into the past and into the future. Old influences alter future trends. As they say in Jamaica, “There is no fruit without the root”. So you’re too young to remember the original Wailers? Listen to The (new) Original Wailers album or better yet, seem them perform live to catch that mid-70’s reggae vibe…again. The Original Wailers will be performing during the U.S. Grand Prix event July 20th at the Mazda Raceway in Laguna Seca.
- SOB X RBE Concert Review + Xslapz Interview by riz aka djrsd & TikaApril 26, 2017 - 12:26 pm
- In Praise of Errors: A Case for RadioApril 24, 2017 - 4:24 pm
- RPM April Music ChartsApril 19, 2017 - 12:05 pm
- #MoreArtMusic hosted by Jamez in Vallejo, CA – Review by riz aka djrsdApril 13, 2017 - 12:44 am
- Sammy J, Jordan T, Analea Concert Review + Jordan T x Analea Interview by riz aka djrsd & DJ MuApril 6, 2017 - 6:47 pm