Public Service Announcements (PSAs) can help get the word out about your organization or event!
The airing of Public Service Announcements is essential to KZSC’s mission to serve and inform the public. KZSC takes its role seriously to assist non-profit organizations who receive little exposure through commercial and corporate media sources.
How PSAs are selected for broadcast
- PSAs are initially processed by the KZSC PSA director. Those deemed suitable for broadcast are put into the rotation in our air-room.
- Once fully vetted, on-air staff select PSAs to read over the air. While the selection is random, i.e., a particular announcement is not scheduled on a specific show at a specific time in our schedule (unlike paid underwriting spots) on-air staff are encouraged to provide each announcement with an equal amount of airtime. Each PSA is documented on our program logs after each airing and we air two PSAs per hour, 18-24 hours per day.
- Generally, PSAs pertinent to the UCSC, Santa Cruz, and Monterey Bay communities are favored over statewide or national PSAs and we only air PSAs for non-profit organizations. Commercial/for-profit businesses and organizations should contact the Underwriting department to discuss paid program sponsorship.
- As a PSA nears its pull date, airtime generally increases. On the pull date, it is then removed from the PSA pool.
- PSAs can also be rejected for logistical reasons such as late submission, illegibility, verbosity, and improper formatting.
Submitting a PSA
Please check out the PSA guidelines before submitting a PSA.
Submit your PSA by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the contact form below at least 3 weeks prior to the date on which the PSA should no longer be broadcast (i.e., “pull” date). PSAs may also be submitted by mail to the following address:
KZSC Santa Cruz
ATTN: PSA Director
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064